As an SEO expert focused on data-driven decision-making, I’ve spent countless hours analyzing clicks and impressions to derive actionable insights. These two metrics are the billboard of any organic search strategy. While many tools out there provide these raw numbers, the question remains: “How do you translate these numbers into actions?”
What is the SERP Metrics Recommendation Tool?
The concept is simple but powerful and straightforward. Given a change in clicks and impressions, the tool suggests a set of actions- saving you time with data analysis and reporting. It’s like having an SEO consultant guiding you, but it’s automated in Google Sheets!
Here are a few things the SERP Metrics Recommendation Tool can suggest for you
- Content Strategy Refinement — By understanding the dynamics of your clicks and impressions, you can prioritize which content needs optimization, refreshment, or even repurposing.
- Technical SEO Audits — If you’re witnessing drops in both metrics, it could hint at technical issues. The tool will prompt you to delve deeper into potential crawl errors or other technical glitches.
- SERP Positioning — Improve your content’s positioning in the SERPs by acting on insights derived from changes in click-through rates and impressions.
How to Use the SERP Metrics Recommendation Tool Template:
- Make a copy of the Google Sheet. Note before running the audit, you will need to accept authorization.
- Navigate to Google Search Console → Performance.
- Click on “Date” and set two comparative date ranges.
- Once you’ve selected the time period you wish to analyze, click on “Export” and choose “Google Sheets”.
- Access the “Pages” Tab.
- Copy the data and then paste it into the ‘Import Search Console Data (Pages)’ tab in the SERP Metrics Recommendation Sheet.
- To import your sitemap URLs, go to your sitemap (e.g., example.com/sitemap.xml or example.com/sitemap_index.xml). If you’re unsure of your sitemap URL, check your robots.txt file as it may be listed there (e.g., example.com/robots.txt).
- Paste the Sitemap URLs into the ‘Input Sitemap URLs’ sheet. Please note: if your root sitemap directory contains multiple sitemaps, they won’t automatically extract all the URLs. You’ll need to paste each URL separately into individual cells.
- Click on ‘Run’.
- Navigate to the ‘Analysis’ tab and dive into the insights!
I’m stoked to share this tool with the community! If you have any feedback, questions, or inquiries, contact me directly at email@example.com.